Second Learning

 

Lesson 12: How to be Overdressed for Under 10 L$

Last night, the Forum Cartel hosted a formal Un-Valentines Dance.

The Forum Cartel are the folks who hang around SL's Resident Answers forum (you cannot access it without verified payment info). They pooled their tier and donated it to a group of their creating and built the Forum Cartel hangout. If you go there, eventually someone else will show up, and just like on the real forums, these guys are usually very helpful.

That said, the invitation said:


Formals or Zoot Suits? Aaah! Even though the invitation said "optional", I figured that I must be able to do it.

But before I did, I sneakily dropped by the party. It was before our live DJ had shown up, but the party was already in full swing. I made my green mini-map dot be in a different location from the cluster, but cammed in.

And what did I see? Too many female(ish) avs for the number of available male(ish) avs.

As a very taken RL woman, I knew that whoever I danced with would be all in good fun. In other words, nothing romantic or even remotely romantic about it. So I figured that I'd do my part for gender balance and come as a male avatar. Which, coincidently is normally much harder to do but this time was much easier.

I had a male kit (shape, skin, hair) in my inventory that I'd been collecting for just this sort of occasion (get your own Jack in a Box for 1 L$). And since I'm not normally male, I didn't mind at all that I wasn't going to look as stunning as the female avatars, because all I was there to do was get some of the gowned female avatars off of the sidelines and on to the dance floor.

I TPed off to the SS Galaxy: Queen of the Sagittarian Sea (which is an amazing build and much deserving of exploring in its own right). I headed directly to their Zodiac Ballroom (which again is a stunning build in its own right). There, they have two stunning gown (sets). The one from Blaze (remember how Viv drooled over Blaze?) is free but you can only look like the image. The other one, from Matahari, comes with a variety of customizable options for making it look the way you want it to look.



But the main attraction is the tux on the Blaze sign. Free. A free tux. From Blaze. It was mine faster than you could say, "I wonder if I'll look good in gold."

Then it was off to EduCube Headquarters where, in the privacy of my own temporary skybox, I changed into my male avatar. I convinced Viv to snap a picture of me and her as male-me and female-me ... both in the same tux. Isn't it stunning no matter what the gender of its wearer?

Blaze Tux


Blaze Tux 02My female-hair, while very not free (150 L$) came from Sirena and had two styles, depending on whether or not I was wearing hair sticks. Well worth the hard-earned money. Here is an image of me with the other style (on left).

Where'd I get the money for such fabulous hair? Well, I warned you that I was paid for a previous tutorial. I was paid enough for the hair :)

It turns out that with every Blaze gown that is purchased from the main store, you get a transferable color-matched shirt/vest/tie clothing item (they call it a vest) for your sweetie to wear as part of his or her tux, provided they already have the jacket and pants. If your sweetie grabs the tux from the SS Galaxy, then the jacket and pants won't be a problem.

Or perhaps you are a female avatar who doesn't mind going to formal occasions in a tux? See if anyone around has a Blaze gown and no use for their tux vest. You can then be amazingly stylish in it for free.


!! ~ Some Pictures from the Evening ~ !!


My RL boyfriend who is in control of the avatar Lupus Yokosuka, usually plays large amounts of World of Warcraft and avoids Second Life like the plague. He'll even be busy washing dishes or folding laundry, when I ask him to come in-world. Well, since I pointed out how important it was that he log in to even out the gender balance, he logged in and tangoed me around the dance floor for a bit.

Us Dancing in SL Gown

^^ Thanks honey. The gown I'm wearing was cobbled together from the skirt of the Blaze gown offered next to the tux, and the top of the LaynieWear Lavender Hibiscus Dreams gown (which wasn't long enough of else I would have worn it by itself). I tossed in some free gloves that I found at the Tete-a-Pied Fleur sim (my skin is TaP as well and available for free to those who are 30 days old or less), and a resized/tinted ribbon belt made by Jen Shikami (from Seven's Selections; landlord of the fabulous Flotsam Beach).

Madhu

This story is actually being told out of order, because I hadn't realized how amazing I'd look as a female in a tux until I was dancing with Madhu. She had seen me around before and knew that I was a female and told me that she swoons for females in tuxes, so could I change back? And so I did. Which is what led to the pictures above of Viv and myself rocking the tuxes. Thanks Madhu! Go on with your blue self!

This is Jasmin Loire signing off and dancing the night away!
Tux
(more pictures than you'll know what to do with)

Labels: ,

 

for this post

Leave a Reply