Second Learning

 

Lesson 6: Tour of Manpower Island

I bet you think I forgot that this was a weekend. Nope!

So you want to dress professionally so that you can teach your students, but you do not want to spend your hard earned PowerPoint L$ to do so? There are many different ways to update your look for free or cheap, but today I am going to take you on a photo tour of Manpower Island to show you my best way for getting outstanding professional clothing with very little money down.

First, Manpower Island is a staffed sim, meaning that there is always a greeter around to welcome you. So do not be shocked/rude/taken aback when the greeter does just that. If you'd like them to go away, so you can get your shop on in private, just tell them that you've visited before and you'll be sure to let them know if you have any questions.

Your first stop needs to be inside the Manpower lobby. To get in, you will need to touch the double doors. If you have trouble doing this, then please feel free to ask the greeter to help you arrive at your destination.

By the way, here's Manpower's official website about their presence in Second Life.

Please meet Viv Perrin, my official model who will be photographed for the purposes of this blog. I created her using OnRez's CSI: NY avatar creation form. Why? Because I wanted something more than the default noob look for a model for this blog. Anyway, Viv is sitting on a chair in the Manpower lobby.

This is Viv's default look. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but also not the most professional for leading a class. Let's see if we can fix that for no money down.

Over along the rear wall of the Manpower lobby, there are some posters that advertise a few designers in Second Life who have created business, or business casual outfits. However, these outfits are not cheap. There is also a wall full of potential packages entitled "Decosta Limited". We like this. This is free. Grab the avatars and/or the avatar parts for the gender you have chosen.

manpower5


Since Viv is a female, I grabbed the female avatars and the female avatar parts. Then, it is off to a sandbox.

To get to a sandbox, remember that you are going to need to do a search in "Places" for the word "sandbox".

manpower6Once there, we are going to open the boxes that we received to remove our items. Remember, right-clicking on the item in your inventory and choosing "wear" will place that item of clothing on your body.

manpower7I managed to give Viv a more professional look by using the formal attire pants and the black crocheted dress shirt. I had to remove about six pieces of clothing to pull this off, but in the end I think the look doesn't overwhelm the students with feelings of insecurity (this is what I picked up from any suit-wearing professor) but at the same time says, "Leave your toys at home, this is a place to be serious."

Coincidently, back at Manpower, there was an advertisement on the wall for Blaze and their selection of suits and powersuits. I went over to the Blaze store to check it out. 500 L$! Youch, but I so want ... Perhaps one of my students will be extremely generous with me during my next class.

manpower3 manpower9

Labels:

 

for this post

Leave a Reply